Skip to main content

Hate Crime Classroom Discussion Response

Hate Crime Classroom Discussion Response

Recently in class we discussed the recent effects of the major crimes that have been spreading throughout America. I've previously expressed my thoughts, building off of other students in our journalism class, but there is a lot more to hate crimes that I've noticed. 
Hate crimes stand out to me, since I could never imagine disliking someone or something that much. In the Kroger shooting only a little while ago, I couldn't help but notice the amount of articles stating that the Kroger shooting wasn't labeled as a hate crime, and this was shocking. The fact that only two black people were killed by Gregory Bush's bullets, and how Gregory tried to break into a black church seemed like proof enough. I disregarded the fact, and ignored it, but none the less, this crime involved Gregory Bush. 
He was known to have committed other crimes, and had previously had his guns taken away from him on many occasions. My question was, why hadn't someone done something? Just like the Nickolas Cruz school shooting, there were signs to show that he had a problem, and was involved in crime/violence. I thought about this for a long time. Why as nothing done to this man when he had shows signs of violence and mental issues? It's because no one who mattered noticed. He was on the loose, a racist mentally unstable male with a gun. These problems will not be solved by just a simple 'I'm sorry,' and some jail time. I believe that one day the youth will change the world, and prevent gun violence and hate crimes from happening. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Response To LaNasia's: A Class Discussion!

My Response To LaNasia's: A Class Discussion! LaNasia typed an article discussing wha we had talked about recently in class, regarding not only the synagog shooting, but also the Kroger shooting. When I read over her blog, I noticed that she spoke about how we allow criminals mercy just because they have a mental illness. I had been talking about this situation a while back when the school shooting regarding Nikolas Cruz occurred. I noticed that many people who decide to shoot up local destinations, or commit hate crimes in general, usually show signs of having a mental illness or issue. L aNasia also talked about how people should be more accepting to others, she states, " This whole class discussion, and the crimes itself has me thinking of how I can become the start to the end of these problems, we as people, as Americans have failed this country, if we put aside whatever feelings, beliefs, and values we have just for a second, we can make a change." These words st...

Impacts of the Metal Type Press Response

Impacts of the Metal Type Press Response By Piper Shiflet Today in class we discussed the impacts of the metal moving type press, created by Guttenberg, and how it effected the history of writing. We first talked about different things that improved when we starting to produce better books and other things, with the metal type press. We discussed it’s impact on religion, the spread of literacy among the lower class, how it improved our economy, and how it helped people share knowledge. I thought sharing knowledge was one of the most important topics we discussed, and the topic of how important the printing press was had also become relevant in our discussion. Being able to share knowledge meant that people from further distances didn’t have to hear the word from another person, and word of new inventions and discoveries would no longer be jumbled up like a game of telephone. Having a printing press meant that people could make documents about scientific discoveries that could chang...

Media Critique: Rolling Stones Article

Media Critique: Rolling Stones Article By Piper Shiflet Journalism has been a hard job to have throughout history, because many of the rules/expectations have remained the same. Journalists must not let their own opinions take over while writing, and being unbiased is one of the most important things to become a stronger journalist. But in general, there are many rules that are broken often, like taking sides, plagiarizing fellow journalists' work and disrespecting their audiences beliefs. This is why most journalists walk on nails and do the right thing, they tell straight facts instead of their own opinions. The New York Times response to the Rolling Stones article, "A Rape on Campus," that was published in 2014 (by no means a recent article) about the false rape case that happened at the University of Virginia, a female by the name Jackie accused a fraternity of raping her. This had already been removed by 2015, as stated by The New York Times, "The articl...